Melee Weapon lengths

Conversations about the rules for Shadow Accord. These can get very technical.
JaggedJackal

Melee Weapon lengths

Post by JaggedJackal » Tue May 08, 2018 3:10 pm

It was brought to my attention that there are actually melee weapon length requirements for one and two handed use that seem to be largely ignored or not enforced at game. Here they are in the current rulebook and appear to be untouched in the errata.
WEAPONS AND ARMOR

BOFFER ATTACKS

Daggers: up to 12 inches of striking surface, 6 inch handle

All other one-handed melee weapons: up to 24 inches of striking surface, 32 with handle

Two-handed melee weapons: up to 36 inches of striking surface, 48 with handle

Pole arms: up to 72 inches, handles may vary.

Fist Boffers: up to 12 inches of striking surface, 18 with handle. Must be black.

Claws: up to 24 inches of striking surface, 32 with handle. Must be black with a white/silver claw mark.

Tentacles: up to 36 inches of striking surface, 48 with handle. Must be black with a white/silver tentacle mark.
These numbers are far shorter than what is currently in the game. Myself included the black sword I used for Eli for over 3 years was over the limit and this was never mentioned. Also I believe that many of the ST weapons would need to be reviewed as well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Because I never like to raise problems without a suggested solution here is one idea I would like to propose.
WEAPONS AND ARMOR

BOFFER ATTACKS

Daggers: up to 18 inches in total length

All other one-handed melee weapons: up to 36 inches of total length

Two-handed melee weapons: up to 48 inches of total length

Pole arms: up to 72 inches of total length

Fist Boffers: up to 18 inches in total length. Must be black.

Claws: up to 36 inches in total length. Must be black with a white/silver claw mark.

Tentacles: up to 48 inches in total length. Must be black with a white/silver tentacle mark.
In addition any currently in play or purchased weapons can be grandfathered in for the next 6 games. This will allow for people to adapt over the next years time and not cause too much unnecessary stress.

This increases the numbers to more easily remembered one foot increments except for daggers and brawl boffers. It also makes the numbers to be a bit closer to what I find with about a 5 minute search for latex weapons.

The one problem I see here is the distinction of polearms vs two handed melee weapons. There is no mechanical difference to them that I found unless a ritual requires it somewhere. Also claymores would need to be a polearm under this measurement and that doesn't seem right. Another point is that one handed and two handed don't seem to be referenced anywhere else. I am assuming this means you can't use a shield with a two handed weapon but what about packet throwing or the avert power?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Another option is to remove this limit entirely.
WEAPONS AND ARMOR

BOFFER ATTACKS

Daggers: up to 18 inches in total length

All other melee weapons: up to 72 inches of total length

Fist Boffers: up to 18 inches in total length. Must be black.

Claws: up to 36 inches in total length. Must be black with a white/silver claw mark.

Tentacles: up to 48 inches in total length. Must be black with a white/silver tentacle mark.
This further simplifying the rules even further. Then the player must still physically be able to use the item one or two handed despite the length. Longer weapons typically being harder to yield one handed compared to two. That of course does create a bit of an arms race on range so could become a slippery slope.
Andrey
Active Character(s): Flayer-of-Men (Shifter)

Re: Melee Weapon lengths

Post by Andrey » Fri May 11, 2018 12:19 am

As you note, there's no definition for what "two handed" or "one handed" means. I believe this is a holdover from when we had distinct item tags and specific rules for "small", "medium" and "large" weapons.

Under current rules, there's a specific meaning to "dagger" as it's associated with a particular item tag (the Silver Dagger). There's also a specific meaning to the three types of natural weapons ("fist", "claw", "tentacle") which come from different skills/powers. There is no specific meaning to the other categories.

I think the simplest solution, as you note, is to remove the extra distinctions; just define "dagger", "fist", "claw" and "tentacle", and for the rest just say "any other Safety-approved melee weapon."
Julian
Active Character(s): Robin Ó Meadhra
-Silent Legion Chanteur

Post by Julian » Mon May 14, 2018 11:52 pm

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

We're going to take some time to talk through this and determine what if any changes should be made.
~Hope will never be silent.~
JaggedJackal

Post by JaggedJackal » Wed May 16, 2018 3:37 am

Thank you for the response!