Pounds

Out of Game discussion for the Shadow Accord community
Chris Melton

Pounds

Post by Chris Melton » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:11 pm

I am wondering why we do not use Pounds Sterling in the game world. Is it simply a matter of not being able to source the phys-reps for the coins?
"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"- Edmund Burke
Joel R
Active Character(s): Evan Eris - Mystical Bartender
Stone Soup - Eats dirt

Re: Pounds

Post by Joel R » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:05 pm

We use Shillings and Pence. there are twelve pence to a shilling and all IG coins are provided by the Org at check-in.
Brendan
Active Character(s): Ashley Hawkins - Inquisitive Scholar

Post by Brendan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:44 am

Pounds weren't really a coin yet at this time, I believe. Pounds were just twenty schillings which was meant to weight roughly a pound, hence the name.

Crowns were made of gold and were roughly 5 schillings, and also illegal for a peasant to carry. Due to there being only two PC Nobles in game, there's not really a drive to make those coins.

So the pound denomination is totally a thing you can use in game, but as an individual coin it'll be a few decades before that happens.

Personally, I'd love to see the game move towards actual English economy.
"Research is formalized curiosity. It is poking and prying with a purpose."
Chris Melton

Post by Chris Melton » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:57 pm

My brief research shows that pounds were used at the time. 20 shillings a pound, so 240 pence per pound. And 4 farthings per pence, at the other end. If they simply aren't used, that's cool. I'm down for whatever the game uses. I was simply curious is there was an OOG constraint, or if they simply were chosen to be excluded. I am not challenging the decision. I'm just wondering about it.

On a side note, it would seem that gold pounds weren't used in England until after the period SA takes place in; it was all silver.
"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"- Edmund Burke
Wizardo75

Post by Wizardo75 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:12 pm

Seems like there was too many reasons for not having pounds or crowns around peasantry to really make sense for purchasing some from the org.

but this is a LARP

We aren't expected to be 100% accurate to the time period, just trying to represent it closely. If a character wants to carry around 20 shillings and not have to carry 20 independent coins that should be something that is possible.

The Alliance LARP uses an interesting system for coin IG. They have 4 denominations of IG currency from Bronze all the way up to Platinum, but there are characters that have so much money carrying Platinum still means they have a 5 pound bag of metal, not to mention phys reps are expensive. They use trinkets like gems or jewelry to be equal to a large amount of money so you can theoretically not concern yourself with carrying around a shit load of money at all times.

Using jewels and gemstones to account for large amounts of wealth was a thing in medieval times right? Plus we have tech to 3-D print that kind of stuff, I don't see why we don't try and implement something like that
Brendan
Active Character(s): Ashley Hawkins - Inquisitive Scholar

Post by Brendan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:31 pm

I personally really enjoy that idea. Wealth in the middle ages was not always represented by coin. In many cases it was land, rights, jewelry, etc.

I think game would do well to make the economy a little more comprehensive.
"Research is formalized curiosity. It is poking and prying with a purpose."