Emerald Legion Experiences

Out of Game discussion for the Shadow Accord community
Rara Avis
Active Character(s): Brenner Cardin (Shifter)

Emerald Legion Experiences

Post by Rara Avis » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:16 pm

Hello, Wraith Players!

I'm working on a wiki project and could use your help! If you've interacted with the Emerald Legion and how it's presented in-game I'd love to hear from you!

May main sources (Book of Legions and Great War) depict two very different Emerald Lords who run very different Emerald Legions. Finding out what version SA has used int he past should help me present something useful to the player experience :D

I don't have permission to post in Wraith forums, but I will move this post to a more appropriate forum if needed.

Thanks!
Big Yellow Bird
Wiki Writer (part-time)
Aldo
Active Character(s): Aldo

Re: Emerald Legion Experiences

Post by Aldo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:52 pm

In general as the massive construct of poor soldiers but slow bureaucrats.
They are often used in a supportive role of the other legions.

Do you have more in depth questions? I feel like I am not able to give you a satisfactory answer from your question
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear. And the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - H.P. Lovecraft

"Deep into that darkness peering...long I stood there...wondering...fearing...doubting..." - Edgar Allan Poe
Rara Avis

Post by Rara Avis » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:45 pm

In the Book of Legions, the Legion has a very progressive and dynamic personality based on a new Emerald Lord. In Great War, the Legion is incredibly conservative, effective only in bilking bribes and kickbacks in its Necropoli and almost unmentionable in terms of military capacity. Given that SA takes places 700 years before the Great War there's a fair amount of leeway in interpretation, and I'd like to present the Legion to new players in a way that is both interesting and in line with SA canon.
Big Yellow Bird
Wiki Writer (part-time)
Rara Avis

Post by Rara Avis » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:14 pm

To get real specific- what is the status of the Emerald Values as described in BoL? They pretty much define the whole legion in that book, and canonically they don't exist until the middle of the 20th century.
Big Yellow Bird
Wiki Writer (part-time)
Aldo
Active Character(s): Aldo

Post by Aldo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:02 am

ah I see. from what I have seen think of it as a massive rube-goldberg machine. Bribes and kickbacks can get your documents done faster but it isn't like the mob
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear. And the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - H.P. Lovecraft

"Deep into that darkness peering...long I stood there...wondering...fearing...doubting..." - Edgar Allan Poe
bex
Active Character(s): Millicent

Post by bex » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:26 am

Sorry, I didn't follow the previous comment - are you saying that canonically the emerald values didn't exist until the 20th century? If so, they don't really have any place in our game.

I play an Emerald Legion character, and focused more on the generic descriptions of the legion like the members having very strong fetter ties, being unlikely to transcend due to this and a large amount of "unfinished business" due to their unexpected death. I think it was in Wraith: The Oblivion where it describes that the reapers for the legion are generally kinder...?

I don't know how the legion is described in the book of legions so I can't really help there.

IMO, the general idea with laying down the description/characteristics of a typical legionnaire is that you give players the option to play a "conventional" character and know what that means, play someone in between, or play someone who is "counter-culture" to their legion for whatever reason and that is part of their character. Providing a description of the "typical legion interactions/typical legionnaire" doesn't prevent someone from going against the grain, but instead gives characters with appropriate knowledge the means to understand that may be a deliberate choice and they may or may not be concerned by that, etc.

I'm kind of rambling because I don't really understand the type of information you're looking for, sorry.

"Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire man stole only one from the gods. Fire. And with it, man forged his will upon the world." - Anonymous
"You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself." - Sam Levenson
"The protruding nail gets hammered down." - Japanese Proverb

Want to contact Check-In? Please email --> sa.checkin@nwlarpers.org
Rara Avis

Post by Rara Avis » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:10 am

If you can point me toward that generic information about the Legion I'd love to look at it! My copy of Wraith 2nd edition gives each Legion about a sentence, and my other sources (Book of Legions and Wraith: the Great War) are not providing particularly generic information- they are very much tied into their respective periods (the late and early 20th century). It makes it difficult to extrapolate what would be appropriate for a Dark Ages depiction of the faction.

Strong fetter ties are definitely mentioned in the BoL, and the kindness of Reapers is mentioned as well. But in the BoL that kindness is tied in to the Emerald Values and the business-like composition of the Legion, so I'm not sure if that's an aspect of the Legion or just its 20th-century aspect.

Any description of how you, as a player, have interacted with or represented the Emerald Legion is very much appreciated! Be general or specific! Anything at all is better than being pulled in two directions like I am right now, with the forward-thinking post-WWII version from one book and the shady profiteering pre-WWII version from the other!
Big Yellow Bird
Wiki Writer (part-time)
bex
Active Character(s): Millicent

Post by bex » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:30 am

Ahh, okay - looked up Emerald Legion in my copy of Book of Legions when I got home and that is where I got a lot of my assumptions/background. While the legion wouldn't have formally adopted the "emerald values" yet during our time period, I think it's a reasonable assumption that they would still value recruits highly since they receive them rarely, at least in comparison to a lot of the other legions. The part about how the reapers are rumored to be kinder is from the non-military life section of the BoL, page 39 (see how heavily I qualified it? "rumored to be kinder [than other reapers]", not "they are kind" - that's my style of interpreting modern information when trying to consider how it would have been in the past - it's far from certainty, but it's not an unreasonable assumption that emerald reapers would want to welcome their new recruits with kindness). We have a ritual in game that is literally called "Cogs Turn Wheels" that is a rare Emerald Legion ritual. Of the four emerald values, I think Cogs Turn Wheels is the one that really would stand the test of time more than any others, as far as being an old and reliable philosophy that served the legion well.

It's definitely tricky to try and backwards-interpret stuff written for the modern age and write it from the medieval perspective; I guess I kind of take it for granted because my first character was a ratkin and the only source book available for ratkin was the modern book XD My approach was basically to read the entirety of the dark ages werewolf book and try to let that color the interpretation of the ratkin book. I did a similar thing for wraith, basically anywhere that I wasn't sure was something that could be widely interpreted I couched as "it's rumored that" or "in my experience" in game.

As an emerald legion character, I play up the embarrassing death, and joke that "I died from impatience," often to avoid explaining more/using humor to deflect the question. I also react with surprise when I meet another member of the legion, because it's a small legion. I focused my primary attention on my guild, but had a legion member express concern at game and invite me in to work with the legion (and receive privileged information) - my character learned to read explicitly for being useful to her legion (the information was a nice bonus <3). There are a lot of not-really-jokes made about how paperwork/contracts are the expertise of the Emerald legion, and paperwork taking decades (or more) is commonplace. When some of us went to request a copy of a contract and we got a response within a few hours, we were pretty concerned/took that to mean it was VERY SERIOUS AND IMPORTANT(tm).

re: forward thinking vs. shady profiteering, It doesn't really have to be opposing views, either - if you have willing cohorts (referencing cogs turn wheels), it can make doing shady deals a lot easier (bribes make paperwork go faster/more smoothly). If everyone's in on it, you all profit from it, and this could easily be something indoctrinated from an emerald legion reaper. With the current timeframe with the guild conflicts heating up, my take on it is that the Emerald legion would be keeping their heads down as far as innovation/forward thinking, at least outside the legion, but they'd definitely be up for getting some grease applied to their wheels, so to speak...

My opinion is that with the era of SA, being a forward thinker/innovator is not something that is necessarily valued and is sometimes dangerous depending on how you present your ideas - while the shadowlands are not directly parallel to the skinlands in this regard, I do think they'd be heavily colored by it, at least in the lands far removed from Stygia, like Seaton Carew is. Stygian ideas/ideals if anything are a lot older, so understanding bureaucracy would be a very valuable skill and IMO something that emerald legionnaires would focus on and prize highly.

Sorry this is so rambly - I hope this is at least a little helpful with respect to what you're looking for :) cheers

"Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire man stole only one from the gods. Fire. And with it, man forged his will upon the world." - Anonymous
"You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself." - Sam Levenson
"The protruding nail gets hammered down." - Japanese Proverb

Want to contact Check-In? Please email --> sa.checkin@nwlarpers.org
Rara Avis

Post by Rara Avis » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:34 pm

bex wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:30 am
Rad Stuff
This is incredibly helpful and provides a very useful springboard! Thank you very much!
Big Yellow Bird
Wiki Writer (part-time)